Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
borderline test results

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

borderline test results

My 40-year old son was diagnosed with Graves Disease about a year ago.  He started with tapozole but was either allergic or had some kind of reaction to tapozole; his temperature went up to 105 and his white blood cell count was dangerously low, requiring hospitalization.  He was stabilized and his white cell count became normal. Then he had the radioactive iodine treatment which did help.  Now his tests (uptake, blood, sonogram) are reportedly borderline or high normal..  He says that the doctor said he could "wait and see".  He has gained a lot of weight, is moody, tires easily.  The first doctor he saw said his case was unusually severe.  Now he is with a different doctor who seems to go along with my son's "wait and see" attitude.  In summary, right now he is not taking any medication.  Can a person have an overactive and underactive thyroid at the same time?  We have both Graves Disease and Hashimoto's Thyroiditis in our family. My son is not the most cooperative patient and I am worried.
No, cannot be hyper and hypo at the same time.  After the RAI, there can be a "roller-coaster" of symptom and lab changes that require close monitoring of thyroid function blood testing -- very important to follow-up closely to avoid unnecessary thyroid dysfunction. Most patients become hypothyroid after RAI and recognizing this early and treating it is very important.