Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
correct dose of levothyroxine for the treatment of hypothyroidism and s...

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

correct dose of levothyroxine for the treatment of hypothyroidism and symptoms

I have hypothyroidism ans was diagnosed two years ago. TSH at that time was 7.50. I was started on Levothyroxine. My last TSH was 4 months ago and was 3.49. I am taking .075 mcg Levothyroxine. I was over weight with faimly risk factors of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and hypothyroidism. I was encourged by my doctor to lose weight to keep these other health issues postponed. I lost 40 lbs in 7 months by counting calories and walking 6 miles per day on the treadmill. It was a weight loss of about 6 lbs per month. I ate healthy with a wide variety of foods. My weight is stable. I am 39 years old/female. My TSH is in the "normal" range on the lab work.  I have hair loss of 45+ strands everyday when washing/fixing hair. (I do color my hair with temporary color about every 4-5 weeks, no perms, no curling iron but use hair dryer.) I know this has been going on for the last 10 months. Is this normal? Iis this because of the hypothyroidism? Should the dose of the levothyroxine be adjusted? I do not have any other symptoms (no constipation/fatigue/depression/weakness/dry skin).

I do have a past history of depression/anxiety but this has not been a issue for two years and I am not on any medication for this.

If the dosage is changed and the hair loss continues at the same amount should you return to your previous dosage amount? what is the best way to determine the correct amount of dosage?
Target TSH is 0.5-2.5 for replacement - talk to your doctor about a dose adjustment.