Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
cytomel

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

cytomel
As I mentioned in previous post, I've had thyroid cancer, had thyroid removed and ablated several years ago and have taken supplements since. TSH goes up and down erratically. Many life changes in last 5 years icluding loss of insurance. Dr. put me on generic thyroid med (levothryoxine),which I finally remember, never worked for me in the past. Explained again all symptoms and asked for Armour RX. Put me on cytomel instead (.25) and retest in 30 days(will insist on free T3).

My question: is cytomel taken alone or in conjunction with something like synthroid? The first few days I felt great. Energy level improved greatly, but here a week later, I feel like I'm having a meltdown.

Any suggestions?
Usually I combine cytomel and synthroid -- in your case 25mcg once a day may not be enough.  The first week or so you still had a fair amount of levothyroxine in the system so levels were higher -- explaining your improved energy.  Consider 1/2 of the 25mcg cytomel in am and the other 1/2 about 2 pm and most likely you will need to add back levothyroxine (or preferably a brand) in the am (?50-75mcg) -- The goal TSH depends on the thyroid cancer history. (ie lower TSH if high risk).