Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
enlarged thyroid, need advice from dr

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

enlarged thyroid, need advice from dr

i am hoping to get some answers. i am a 32 y/o female. i started having problems a few months ago with joint pain, memory loss, extreme fatigue and many other symptoms. i have no medical insurance so i have just tryed to ignore everything. then i started feeling like i had a lump in my throat that just started as an off and on thing but has now become worse and constant. everytime i eat, i feel like i am going to choke. i went to the dr last week and the first thing he said was thyroid. so when he felt, he said the right side of my thyroid was enlarged and he did blood woork. when i got the result back they were normal. but all they checked was TSH 3rd generation (which was 1.10 and normal was between .40-4.50).  i finally went yesterday for a thyroid ultrsound but still waiting for the results. i am just wondering what if anything they should be able to tell me from the ultrasond. and why would my thyroid be enlarged to the point i have trouble swallowing if my blood work was normal? i am confused, nervous and miserable. i don't know what to expect next and like i said i have no medical insurance so i have had to pay cash for the dr, lab and ultrasound. and i don't think we can handle anymore financially. thank you in advance for any info you give me.
Tags: Thyroid, enlarged
The thyroid may be enlarged with normal labs -- this is common.  The ultrasound will prove whether or not the thyroid is enlarged and/or has any nodules that may need biopsy.  It will not prove that the enlarged thyroid is the definite cause of the swallowing problem -- we usually do a barium esophogram (swallowing test) to see if the enlarged thyroid may be the culprit.  If it is the thyroid the pattern is typically difficult with the first several bites of a meal, then swallowing is easier....
is there anyone out there?
I am relatively new to this thyroid stuff, but I'll tell you what I know.  I have had possibly thyroid related symptoms for years.  My TSH has never tested over 5.47 though, which is still considered within range by my lab.  I recently insisted that my GYN run some blood work including TG antibodies.  My antibodies were elevated and I had an ultrasound done.  Mine showed that I had a multi-nodular goiter and my gland is about twice the normal size.  My endo started me on 50 mcg of Synthroid to try to keep the goiter and nodules from enlarging.

The ultrasound will show if you have nodules, give info on any you do have (size, consistency, etc.) and what the "texture" of your gland is like.  I think it's good that you had it done, and depending on what it shows they'll know the next step.  You should probably have your thyroid antibodies tested to see if you have an auto-immune issue going on.  That could indicate that thyroid meds would be helpful in alleviating your symptoms even though your TSH isn't high.

Hope that helps and that you get some more info soon.

Cindy
Dr., if the ultrasound shows that my thyroid is just enlarged, what does this mean? what would cause this with normal bloodwork? and what would be done about it? thank you all so much for your info.
I have recently had some of the same issues as you, the swallowing problem  i hate the most...  I Have been hypothyroid for 5 years but my levels had just recently been normal. I had often wonder if this happen due to a change over from Levothyroxine to Synthroid? I had blood work done he did a full thyroid panel it all came back normal and the ultra sound just shows enlarged thyroid. My doctor didnt give me next steps to take. Im taking the next step to a ENT to see what they say. There has to be a reason for my thyroid to be enlarged to the point I cannot eat right. I hope you can get this worked out for you too I will pray you...