Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
extreme lethargy/sweating/depression

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

extreme lethargy/sweating/depression

I have received thyroxine for 19 years and get regular blood tests.In the last 4 years I have suffered increasingly severe bouts of vertigo. Present one since Dec 06. All the usual treatments do not work. Added to that for at least a year I am severely lethargic, sleep at least 9-10 hours a night and nod off in the daytime too. I am depressed tearful and now sweat profusely for no reason. It pours out of me all over my body ,particularly my head.I recently received Botox injectionsin my neck and upper shoulders for severe neck pain [could not turn neck in either direction]Now in the evening I almost need to prop my head up and I get back of head pain every night in the two "bumps".I am 67 years old, and was a high flying lawyer unti I retired in Jan 2006.[No, that did not depress me, I was delighted to leave it all behind!]I am otherwise a happy soul and no reason to be depressed.I try to avoid friends, ignore chores,and neglect my passion for gardening, do not even enjoy reading [which I love]What could this be? I have considered: deficiency of B12, tumour of the adrenal system, some other from of tumour. My heart rate is fine .I am somewhat overweight.Cholesterol is about 5.8.
Family History;father died of cancer of stomach and liver aged 49,mother died aged 83, essentially heart problems.
My Doctor is very kind but isn't taking me seriously. I am not usually this worried about my health but my instinct tells me something is wrong.
Would start with a complete physical and labs with your general doctor.

Also consider sleep apnea given the lethargy and daytime somnolence.

In terms of thyroid -- goal TSH is around 1.0 - make sure the thyroxine dose is appropriate.

The vertigo is not likely thyroid related and is sometimes difficult to treat and determine exactly why it happens -- fortunately, it often resolves (eventually) on its own.

If all this is negative, an endocrine second opinion (in addition to your general doctor) may be worthwhile for peace of mind, but would also need to consider a diagnosis of depression -- this certainly occurs even in absence of reasons to be depressed.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Sudden weight gain was started.