Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
fluctuating PTH levels

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

fluctuating PTH levels
I have had calcium levels of 11.00, 11.1, and 10.6 over the last three months. The PTH level was 66 one month ago. Now my PTH is 36. My only symptoms are fatigue, apathy, and "feeling old".  I'm 61 and otherwise in very good health.  I was originally diagnosed with mild hyperparathyroid, but now the endocrinologist says that it might be something else and wants to re-test everything in  months.  What would cause the PTH to fluctuate like this?
This is primary hyperparathyroidism.
One common cause of a lower PTH is not freezing blood soon enough after draw.  Another is a very common pattern of "inappropriately normal" PTH in the face of high calcium.
A related discussion, PTH was started.