Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
generic levothyroxine

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

generic levothyroxine

Does anyone have any thoughts on the efficacy of the generic versions of synthroid. My endo suggested that we should try to nail down the right dose with synthroid first then try swithcing to generics. The pharmacy wouldn't fill the generic unless the doctor specifically authorized it. I'm not a doctor but that doesn't make sense to me. Isn't the generic the exact same molecule? Why would it work differently? I told him to write the generic, it's 20 bucks cheaper. And that adds up considering I have to take this stuff for the rest of my life. Does the doc's argument make sense or is he just an Abbott labs shareholder or something?
I recently started Levoxyl mcg last month. My doctor was VERY specific about not using the generic substitute. He put it in big bold letters on the prescription. He seemed to think there was a difference.
i was told to always take one or the other not to switch back & forth-but when i got my prescription refill i didn't notice the dr wrote it for synthroid only (no generic) so this is my first month switching so far i can't tell a difference.
I started on the generic form of synthroid about6 months ago and had negative side effects from it..(heart palps. everyday)  My medication was changed to brand name synthroid and it does seem to make some difference.  I still do get palps but not as intense or as often.  i'm hoping once my medication is finally regulated that they will disappear for good.  I was also told by my Dr. that the compounds are slightly different between generic and brand.  He mentioned something about the way the medicaion was released into the body.  Hope this helps.
I have hypothyroidism for four years now, and my endo told me that he does not recommend generic synthroid because the hormone levels in the generic may not be accurate and you could be taking more or less than the actual dose prescribed if you take generic.
Generic synthroid is not the same as the trade mark Synthroid. I was given the generic version and it proved to be not the same, because I had palpitations , was nervous, and so on. This evened out when I went back to the trade marked brand. I don't believe what pharmacists say; generics are not the equivalent of the trade mark brands. They're not held up to the same high standards. I've had bad experience with most generics.
A related discussion, Hashimoto Hypor thyroidism was started.