Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
gland, jaw bone pain

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

gland, jaw bone pain

I began with pain in my jaw bone, just under teeth 20/21 towards the front of my mouth.  Suspecting root canal, antibiotic was issued for 7 days.  After visits with 2 endo- specialists, root canal has been ruled out, as well as additional cavitiesl.  Pain is bad enough that Tylenol #3 was issued.  4 weeks later, pain is still there.  Second round of Antibiotics issued last thur, as well as Advil as an alternate ( anti-inflamitory).  Pain has subsided from jaw bone, and located in "glands" towards the ear, and near the center of the neck, just under the jawbone.  Note-- teeth did not hurt the first 4 weeks, and are quite sensitive today.   frustrating... which type doctor should I see next ???

Ithanks
ENT
It looks like saliva glands problem and also possibility of TMJ .Doctor Lupo is right ...You should see  the ENT doctor. Good luck .
hello- i spent yearssssssssssssssssss with similar symptoms- finally diagnosed with osteomyelitis. funny thing is it never show up on ct.scan's, bone scan with the radio active shot, mri, several x-rays ...and even though i had a low grade fever that started steadily 4 years after original dental work took place...it lasted for 7 years. AND if that's not awful enough, i had swollen glands every where (especially under chin and under ears on both sides)(by the way google glands...you'll see that those glands drain from a source of infection from the chin bone up...not to big an area i would think)...AND i had several ultra sounds...the dr.s were trying to figure out why my spleen was huge and my liver was covered with scare tissue and little clots/tears.  

IDIOTS!

oh and by the way....the head of the ent dept told me i had simple tmj.
eventually i went to this dentist (an old timer) and paid him to do a simple xray...you know the ones they slide in your mouth...he came back and said" see that grey area there??? it looks like retained gauze." he said he would never of noticed it IF he hadn't seen it before.