Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
growths on thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

growths on thyroid
Lastfall a ct of my neck showed a growth on my thyroid so a ultrasound was done that show lots of growths 3 of which were big enough to do a needle biospy. The needle biospy did not have enough cells to give an answer I was told to come back in 6 months for repeat ultrasound. My question is does thyroid growths cause pain and swallowing problems? Water is getting struck in my throat alot of times and my throat is hurting like someone is squeezing it. I have about 3  more months to go before repeat ultrasound but should go in sooner? Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Even benign nodules can press on the windpipe or foodpipe and can cause hoarseness.  Would consider going in sooner to see if the nodules have changed since the first attempted biopsy.   I usually repeat FNAs in this situation 3 months after initial attempt.
I also was diagnosed with a nodule on my thyroid.  It was found on an mri I had done on my cervical spine that found several herniated discs.   This was in January 09.   I then went to an endocrinologist who sent me for an ultra sound.  I told him at the time that I had this feeling of a lump in my throat.  He said I wouldn't be able to feel it and it was probably nerves.  The ultra sound showed a 1.5 cm nodule on the right side and another 4.4 mm one there as well.  There are cysts on the left side.   I had the fine needle biopsy done and they did not have enough cells to give a definitive diagnosis of benign.  I will be having another ultra sound and biopsy done in early June.  In the meantime, this feeling of a lump in my throat is driving me nuts.   Some days it is worse than other days.  I often choke on food and find I have to eat very slowly.  The pain seems to radiate to my right ear as well.  All my thyroid bloodwork has come out normal.  I do have mild diabetes Type 2 that I am controlling with diet an exercise.  Am I nuts, or do I really feel this nodule in my throat on the right side?