Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
has anyone experience excessive sweating after eating?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have had trouble getting my levoxyl right, I originally was diagnosed as hypothyroid in dec 2007, but after various doses of levoxyl, started with 100 mcg, went up to 125 mcg, then my tsh was .001 and was now hyperthyroid, doctor lowered to 88 mcg, and i have been on that dose for a few weeks, I am having a wierd reaction that whenever I eat anything, or drink a cup of coffee, my whole body breaks out in a sweat, soaking wet to the point I have to shower, 3-4 times a day.  Has anyone had a reaction like this?  I am so confused, some are saying I could be type 2 diabetic, can you be hypothyroid and type 2 at the same time.  They say the excessive sweating after eating is a symptom of type 2 diabetes.....any help would be appreciated.  I am so sad and depressed about this, I hate to even go on a date with my boyfriend and eat anything, cause I am so embarassed.
Doubt this is T2DM.  The dose fluctuation in levoxyl may be the cause -- dropping from 125 to 88 -- check with your doctor to make sure they were not thinking you were still on 100mcg when they suggested to decrease to 88....

Sweating after a meal is not a typical thyroid related problem but may be related to the dose change.  Sweating is usually controlled by the involuntary nervous system, so there may be over-excitement of this system mis-triggered by food intake -- not sure why that would happen.  Would consider looking at all other meds/supplements/etc with your doctor to see if anything else may be a cause.
One thing for sure, if you're Type II diabetic, the doctors should be able to get a good reading from a Glucose Tollerance Test.  You might want to ask.  It's a long test, but it's not that bad.  

You drink this sweet sweet sweet drink and they check your blood.

That would help answer some on Type II.

Candice
I have to disagree with the Doc (sorry!) about the sweating.  I'm hyperthyroid and sweat when anything raises my body temp (such as food).  Whenever I have a hyper spike, I always sweat when I eat, take a shower, etc.  I'm just wondering why they're keeping you on levoxyl if you are now hyper, that seems dangerous.
A related discussion, Sweating after eating was started.