Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hashimoto's affecting me

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

hashimoto's affecting me

I have been dealing with thyroid problems for about the past 4 years now. I was told from one doctor that I had nodules and they were increasing in size with each sonogram I was having every 6 months. I was put on synthroid for 3 months but there were no changes so I was taken off.  I was also scheduled to have a biopsy last summer but when the doctor came to preform it he said that there was too much growth so no biopsy was done. I recently saw a new endocrinologist, where he said that there are no nodules but instead my throid is extremely enlarged. He also diagnosed me with Hashimoto's disease. My new doctor put me on Synthroid for 1 month to see if my thyroid would decrease in size and if not he suggested having my thyroid removed. I have been suffering from hair loss, weight gain, brittle nail, fatigue, depression, anixety, as well as difficulty swallowing. So my question is, is my best option to have my thyroid removed?
Hashimoto's is a common explanation for thyroid enlargement and abnormal ultrasound - often giving the impression of nodules that change from study to study.  Working w/ an endocrinologist who does his/her own ultrasound is important to help detect true change and to determine area(s) that may need FNA biopsy.  Levothyroxine treatment to keep TSH in the low-normal range is also appropriate.  Removing the thyroid is not usually necessary.