Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hashimotos disease and neck spasms/pain

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

hashimotos disease and neck spasms/pain

Hi I am a 42yr old male and have been diagnosed with Hashimotos disease in the last six months. I am having severe cramps and pain up both sides of my neck on waking. They are so bad I have to grab my neck until they pass. The GP said it was probably reflux irritating my inflamed thyroid but it doesn't just burn, i actually feel the sides of my neck go into spasm. I am on anti-reflux meds and there is no difference. I notice the spasms are worse in the morning if i have had a beer or a glass of wine the night before. Now the GP is looking into maybe a stomach ulcer too. I just need answers. The exhaustion with the Hashis is bad enough without the pain in my throat. Any advice will be most welcome! Thanks Allan
It is quite possible to have acid reflux without heartburn symptoms.  Muscle spasms can also be seen with undertreated hypothyroidism or potentially overtreated hypothyroidism.  Please make sure your TSH is in the target range, typically 0.5-2.5.
Thank you for that advice, much appreciated!
At the moment my Thyroid is overactive but I am not on any treatment. Last bloods were normal so I go from overactive to normal lately. The thyroid is very large with multiple nodules the largest on the right is 3.9cm. I have had a biopsy but it was clear. Again thank you for your expertise.
Kindest regards
Allan