Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
how long till thyroid medication starts to work

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Just a general question to everyone anyone out there.  When should you start to see  results (specifically in mood) from taking Levothroid? I realise there are countless variables to this question but in general: After receiving doses of Wellbutrin from my "doctor" and Ritalin to jump start it when it was becoming ineffective I asked my shrink to check TSH a couple weeks ago. It came back at 22.6 - a year ago I went through the same thing, felt terrible, my TSH was a 12 then a 5 so they didn't do anything about it and I forgot about until a couple weeks ago. Anyway they now have me on 100mcg Levothroid and it's been a week exactly since I started. I'm a 35 year old cauc. male 6'4" 190 pnds. And I'm tired of driving my familly nuts with my moodiness etc.
It may take 3-4 weeks to notice a difference in how you feel.  It will take 3 or more months for your body to fully appreciate being back to normal from a thyroid standpoint.  Sounds like you are on the right track with the levothroid and rechecking a TSH in 6 weeks is suggested in order to rapidly titrate the levothroid to result in a tsh around 1.0.
Hey thanks for the info! I have another question(s). Does this sound like an appropriate dose for me? (100mcg-Levothroid)) and is there any way to tell if you need the addition of T3 at this early stage? What factors contribute to someone needeing the T3? If you have depression co-existing with Hypothyroidism can the T4 boost Wellbutrin so that it will work? Can the 2 drugs together make you too "wired"? or possibly can I stop the Wellbutrin in the future? Sorry for so many questions but I'm anxiety ridden about all of this. -Thanx
Given your age and weight - you may require a dose of 125-150 or more - 100mcg is a good start and rechecking 6 weeks after starting will help titrate the dose appropriately.  The depression may improve as the hypothyroidism treated and you may not need the wellbutrin -REMEMBER -  only stop a medication after discussion with your doctor.

T3 can be considered if symptoms persist despite achieving a TSH around 1 with T4 rx.

Good Luck - ML, MD
A related discussion, Hypothyroid..when will meds take effect was started.