Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hypodense nodule

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

hypodense nodule

Hi Doc,

I just need your help in interpreting the result of my father's ct scan.. Here it is:

Presence of a 12mm thick-walled cystic mass within an atrophic right parotid gland with slightly ill-defined margins. The findings is suggestive of an abscess formation or an area of orgnized necrosis with edema in the adjcent subcutaneous tissues. A 55M hypodense nodule in the left lobe of the thyroid gland may represent a colloid cyst.

Benign calcified granuloma in the anterior segment of the left upper lobe and 2MM noncalcified granuloma in the left upper lobe. The latter show mild fibrosis in the adjacent lung. Atrophic left kidney. Spondylosis of the dorsal spine.

I just want to know doc how serious is my father's condition. thank you very much.
The CT mentions a large probable cyst in the left lobe of the thyroid.
He should see a thyroid expert (endocrinologist or possibly ENT) who does his/her own ultrasound in office for further evaluation and biopsy/drainage.  90% of these are benign.

The parotid cyst needs ENT evaluation and possible ultrasound guided biopsy.

The lung findings are most consistent with old scar - not likely significant,but ask his doctor.