Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hypothyroid, should i see a specialist

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

hypothyroid, should i see a specialist

I am 30 years old and have been hypothyroid for about 2 year.  We have never gotten to a point where i stayed on the same dose of synthroid.  I feel horrible, my joints hurt and i am so tired.  I have 3 kids, which make all of this worse.  Last time i went to my pcp and told him i still don't feel right, he made me feel as if i was making this up.  For some reason last time he lowered my dose to 50.  When my results came back they were tsh of 18.203 and t4 of 0.99.  They changed my dose again to 75.  After going to the gyno last week for a regular checkup he called and informed me that i have to take my syntroid, (which i do every morning)my tsh was 11.5.  What should I do?  When is it time for a specialist?
You still have under-treated hypothyroidism.  A specialist should be able to help get this under control more effectively, but essentially you need a higher dose than 75mcg as the target TSH is about 0.5-2.0.
Med. dose should be increased until your TSH reaches acceptable level or to where you feel your best, within the Labs reference range.  Retest every 6 to 8 weeks after starting each new med. dose.  Also suggest to be treated by a doctor who deals in thyroid and treats many patients yearly.

Good Luck!
T-4 is affected by estrogen and should not be used to dose.  

Ask for a FT-4 in addition to your TSH and maybe even a FT-3 to make sure you are converting the Synthroid properly.

Many of us who have experienced TSH levels as high as you have often feel very cold, sluggish, depressed, and have *no* energy.
I would suggest that you find a good endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid conditions (some only treat diabetes).  Endocrinologists are specialists in regulating endocrine levels, unfortunately it is a specialty that many PCP and other physicians do not understand.
A related discussion, What dosage should I take was started.