Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hypothyroid hirsutism

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

hypothyroid hirsutism
I would just like to know would hypothyroidism cause hirsutism ie a lot of white hair on face very noticable and starting to darken if so and the thyroid condition is under control will this hair ever go away I am taking synthroid 100mcg.Also my hair never grows back
Hirsutism specifically refers to male-type hair growth in a female - ie, small black facial hairs particularly around chin/lips, chest hair and hair from belly-button down.  Lots of white hair on face is possibly hirsutism particularly if it initially looks like stubble.

Hypothyroidism is not a common cause of hirsutism - usually it's due to an excess of male hormone - hypothyroid can cause hair loss, brittle hair, thinning hair -- if it does not improve with correcting hypothyroidism then would look into causes such as male hormone excess.

Also take a vitamin with biotin, lutein, zinc and b-complex.  Some vitamin stores will see a hair/nail formulation that makes it more convenient.
Yes, the type hair you have described (vellous hair) has been listed as a symptom of hypothyroidism.  I don't know if it disappears in those folks who have it once optimally treated, but I would think it doubtful.  Dr. Mark may have more info on it though.
I am postmenopause with hypothyroidism, and have a lot of hair growth on my face. It is mostly white with a few dark hairs now and then. Not sure if mine is from too much testosterone or from hypothyroidism.
Thank you for your responses. I thought I was the only one, would electrolysis have any effect if I waxed it would I end up with a beard effect I would be afraid to risk it
electrolysis would work in some cases.  waxing less effective (at least in my experience).  I agree this sounds more like vellous hair than hirsutism and in that case may be more thyroid related -- tough to tell without seeing it -- ask your doc if it is hirsutism or not.
Kit, I want you to know - I had so much fine white facial hair, I had to resort to shaving my face the last 4 years before I finally got treatment for hypO. I also had dark hair above my upper lip - unsightly for a woman!  (Shaving hair off doesn't make it thicker or grow faster - that's just an old wive's tale!)

In my case, facial hair was only another weird symptom of untreated (and under-treated) hypOthyroidism.  Because after I started taking Armour at the necessary dose for me, ALL the facial hair went away, and am I glad!  

Rella48
Thank you all for your responses they have helped a lot
A related discussion, hirsutism and hypothyroidism was started.