Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hypothyroidism, nodules, and pain in the neck
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
1108183_tn?1292420273
hypothyroidism, nodules, and pain in the neck
I was diagnosed as having hypothyroidism about a year and a half ago. They did a thyroid scan and ultrasound, and dais I had a small goiter/nodule. I was not put on any meds. at that time. About a year later I was in the hospital- due to depression, and they said my thyroid levels were off and put me on a low dose of synthroid. Last month, I had run out of my synthroid, and my hair started falling out, I was having night sweats, severe fatigue, and pain and tenderness in the thyroid area of my neck- my glands in my neck were swollen too. By the time I got to see a doctor at the health department, the pain and swelling had left. She said I was probably just coming down with the touch of something, but went ahead and wrote me a refill on my synthroid. Here I am a month later, still taking my meds, and my neck started hurting suddenly again and is very tender to the touch, and with movement. Should I be overly concerned? A friend of mine told me I should go to the ER asap. But I'm not sure if it is that serious, and whether I should just wait until Monday and make an appointment at the health department (but they may not see me right away). Any suggestions??
Discussion is closed
Cancel
5 Answers
Page 1 of 1
97953_tn?1440868992
It is not clear why you have these symptoms and it may not be thyroid -- would  see a physician ASAP.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
1108183_tn?1292420273
I'm guessing, from my research online, it's probably thyroiditis??
Discussion is closed
Cancel
1108183_tn?1292420273
I've got a cough, just a night, and I have been sneezing and sniffling alot, and clearing my throat! Any of this connected. I am miserable, and it is really hurting my neck!
Discussion is closed
Cancel
1108183_tn?1292420273
I went to ER after getting your reply. They said my thyroid levels were 4.73, and the pain could be from the nodule/goiter that I have. They said they couldn't do a thyroid scan there, and want me to follow up with an endo in two days. They sent me home with Lortab 5mg. I hope the health department can do more than they did, I have no insurance to see an endo, and I was already turned down for medicaid here in Texas. This is the life in these day and times, no insurance, no help.

Thanks for your reply!
~Gena
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A related discussion, PAIN in the neck area was started.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now