Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hypothyroidism, nodules, and pain in the neck

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I was diagnosed as having hypothyroidism about a year and a half ago. They did a thyroid scan and ultrasound, and dais I had a small goiter/nodule. I was not put on any meds. at that time. About a year later I was in the hospital- due to depression, and they said my thyroid levels were off and put me on a low dose of synthroid. Last month, I had run out of my synthroid, and my hair started falling out, I was having night sweats, severe fatigue, and pain and tenderness in the thyroid area of my neck- my glands in my neck were swollen too. By the time I got to see a doctor at the health department, the pain and swelling had left. She said I was probably just coming down with the touch of something, but went ahead and wrote me a refill on my synthroid. Here I am a month later, still taking my meds, and my neck started hurting suddenly again and is very tender to the touch, and with movement. Should I be overly concerned? A friend of mine told me I should go to the ER asap. But I'm not sure if it is that serious, and whether I should just wait until Monday and make an appointment at the health department (but they may not see me right away). Any suggestions??
It is not clear why you have these symptoms and it may not be thyroid -- would  see a physician ASAP.
I'm guessing, from my research online, it's probably thyroiditis??
I've got a cough, just a night, and I have been sneezing and sniffling alot, and clearing my throat! Any of this connected. I am miserable, and it is really hurting my neck!
I went to ER after getting your reply. They said my thyroid levels were 4.73, and the pain could be from the nodule/goiter that I have. They said they couldn't do a thyroid scan there, and want me to follow up with an endo in two days. They sent me home with Lortab 5mg. I hope the health department can do more than they did, I have no insurance to see an endo, and I was already turned down for medicaid here in Texas. This is the life in these day and times, no insurance, no help.

Thanks for your reply!
~Gena
A related discussion, PAIN in the neck area was started.