Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
??hypothyroidism

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

??hypothyroidism

Hi all. Going through checks at the moment for thyroid diorder, was told by GP's receptionist this am that blood results were "normal" (again).  Appointment also arrived this am seeing endo on 12th Dec.

Prob came to a head Jan 2005 when my GP diagnosed me with acute thyroiditis, Obvious goitre. ultrasound showed obvious protrudance of thyroid but no disruption of function. Blood results normal. Krabb test normal.

Symptoms continued on and off since then,(all symptems of hypothyroid)
now struggling to cope, so tired, my neck hurts (discomfort more than pain), I keep losing my voice or going hoarse, my get up and go has definately got up and gone, I used to be so full of energy.

I work as an A&E nurse on long shifts and my days off now just seem to be to recharged for the next lot of shifts...  

Sorry I'm rambling, found your site today and couldn't believe there were other people out there going through the same. I could weep>> (again)
My Gp told me I had exhausted his knowledge!!!! hence referral to endo..  
Sympathetic friend suggested that perhaps I was just cold cause I lived in Scotland !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me ramble, will keep in touch.
Most people recover from subacute thyroiditis -- would check your thyroid antibodies.  If ultrasound shows a nodule, would biopsy it.  If the thyroid labs are normal - pay particular attention to TSH which should be 0.4-2.0 - then the function is most likely fine.
Far too many folks go thru it...

I was told "normal" for over 15 years before finally being diagnosed with Hashimoto's/hypo.  I have permanent damage in certain areas from being untreated for so long.  Basically, the docs ruined my health because they did not believe me when I told them I was sure I had thyroid problems when I would go in and ask to be tested because of my numerous hypo symptoms, and even later, known family history.  

First of all, the new recommended top end of the range in the US is 3, but not sure what it is in Scotland.  But I would get a copy of your labs and find out what your TSH was as that would be quite helpful.  Also the range there.

Secondly, I would ask for thyroid antibody testing.  If you have Hashimoto's Disease (autoimmune thyroid disease) you may be having problems even if the thyroid labs are in range.  

Thirdly, and I don't know how this is done in Scotland - but knowing the actual thyroid hormones (TSH is a pituitary hormone that direct the thyroid) could be a good indicator for you if they are low in range.  The best labs for this would be Free T4 and Free T3, the storage thyroid hormone and active thyroid hormone.

Don't settle for "normal" - my experience is that perhaps normal is not.
I can see from various thyroid sites especially this one that it may be a case of going to the endo with lots of facts and precise symptoms, leave the vagueness at the door so to speak!!

Thank you for being here!!
I am EXACTLY like Armourgal--I was ALSO told I was "normal" based on those stupid labs, and I was NOT normal. It DID end up being my thyroid and then being on lousy T4-only meds. WHY don't the docs open their eyes and see what's going on??? Did you know, Jaff, that before the TSH was developed in 1975, patients were dosed by SYMPTOMS and successfully? And look at you---you were diagnosed with acute thyroiditis with an obvious goiter, yet they haven't treated you because of "normal" labs????? That is crazy. Keep fighting for yourself. I had to do the same, and today, I am now on natural thyroid hormones, which we call Armour here, and I now feeling like a human being again.

Hi Jaff, you're not alone in having an unsympathetic scottish doctor, whose knowledge is exhausted. I am in the same postition as you, and am waiting to see the endo at the hospital. Hang on in there and hopefully our appointments will sort things out. Some one on here mentioned to check my rising temperature, and mine is 35.8. Have you checked yours?