Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
if it's not hashis, what is it?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

if it's not hashis, what is it?
hi.  i had silent thyroiditis in the past that presented as hyper then hypo and was on various doses of synthroid until i was tapered off over a year ago.  i had an elevated antithyroglobulin (slightly) and a negative anti tpo at the time.  i haven't had any of those checked since (it's been probably 5+ years).

in the past, all sonograms have shown small subcentimeter nodules.  when i went to get ultrasound done recently, i had lots of the small nodules but the technician said she wasn't going to measure any of them..  she said there were too many and that the gland is heterogeneous.  i asked her if it looked like i had hashimotos based on the ultrasound, and she said no because hashimotos has more blood flow in the thyroid, and i don't have a lot of bloodflow.  i just don't understand why it would be heterogeneous if i don't have hashis?  does heterogeneous mean inflammation?  why would i have inflammation without having hashis?  i'm confused.  why do i have inflammation?

i've had normal labs since i was tapered off of synthroid.

thanks
Sounds like thyroiditis - which has variable blood flow.  Hashi can have high or low flow.Thyroiditis that is silent can be viral or autoimmune or postpartum and a full recovery is possible (ie, not needing synthroid).
coulld it have to do with diet?  sushi?  too much iodine?
well, i got a letter today saying that my endo wants me to get lymph nodes evaluated again...  ultrasound report says "within the left supraclavicular region, interior left neck, there is an elongated prominent lymph node measuring 2 x .5 x .7 cm nodal station IV.  additional prominent lymph node on the left ,nodal station IV measuring 1.1 x .7 x .6 cm."

again, here begins the cycle of going to ent who does nothing.  what should i ask ent to do?  biopsy?  i don't understand.  the lymph nodes aren't going away, but ent doesn't seem soncerned.  it's nerve wrecking and frustrating.

thanks

thanks for your input.  i got a second opinion at jh.  they are going to do an ultrasound up there in may since the lymph nodes are over a centimeter.  he thinks it's okay, but they are going to follow-up to make sure they haven't grown??  

i don't think they're thyroid-related because they are from my left ear down to my left clavicle.  but, what do i know?  i'm not the doctor.  

at least they're following up on it and not making me feel like a lunatic.

thanks again for your forum.