Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
insomnia/hyperthyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

insomnia/hyperthyroid
I have chronic insomnia for about a year now.  I have tried many anti-anxiety and sleeping pills some work for a couple of weeks then stop working.  I am 53 and in menopause and have had a thyroidectomy for hashimoto's.  I am currently trying Herbalife to help with the extreme weight loss that has accompanied the weight losss. My thyroid doctor said that she does not know how to treat for insomnia and my GP wants to prescribe me strong medications that I do not want.  Is there anything that I can take naturally to help with sleep? Or is there some kind of testing to see if I have an imbalance somewhere.
Herbalife may have a stimulant that could interfere w/ sleep - check ingredients.  From thyroid standpoint, if TSH in good range, then not much more to do.  There are some over the counter options like melatonin that help some people for sleep.
Possibly check your magnesium levels with your doctor may help.
You could always ask your doctor to cut your meds down a bit and see if that helps. As long as you're in range, can't be that bad and you can always return to the previous dose if you start feeling hypo.