Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
itching

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

itching

Hello there. I am waiting for my meds to kick in... tapazole 20 mg per day.  they just gave me it on Tuesday.  Now it is Friday.  

Anyway, does hyperthyroidism cause itching? I'm really itchy, my back, my stomach, my arms, my face a little.  Only my legs are not itchy, I thought it could be the wool sweater I was wearing, but that was on Sunday and I have showered many times since then!  

How long does it take to kick in!  I'm still tired, weak, yesterday called 911 cause the Healthline nurse told me to, b/c I had racing heart and chest pressure as well as being weak and a bit shaky. Not so shaky anymore.  Anyway the paramedics check ed me out and said it was fast but ok.   I would like to go back to work!!!  I  miss my students.

Peace, Rachel in Canada
It takes 10-14 days  (or more) to see a response to tapazole. The itching is sometimes part of Graves Hyperthyroidism (the most common cause of hyperthyroidism) but can also be a side-effect of the tapazole.  The heart symptoms and shakiness usually get better as the thyroid recovers but sometimes beta-blockers (like atenolol or propanolol can be helpful as well).
I got a message that someone commented on this. but I can't' find the comment.   Mmmm, where is it?  Anyone know?