Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
just had surgery; very confused
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

just had surgery; very confused

Hi. I'm new here. I had surgery on Wednesday for a benign follicular adenoma with hurthle cells. It wasn't large, just under 2cm. He said it showed some vascularity and had some calcification. But we removed it because I have a history of tumors in my brain and a long family history of cancer. Anyway, The reason I'm confused is the doctor says it's completely benign, which makes my really happy, but what I don't understand is why he would remove this one and not the one on the left side which is .8mm? If I have two nodules, then why did he only remove one? I only had the right side removed, not the left. He didn't he pay attention to that one. I don't understand... Should I be concerned that he left the other one in there? Let me know that you think. Thanks.
Tags: surgery, right lobectomy, Thyroid, new surgery, benignnodule, confused, follicular adenoma
97953_tn?1193367871
The other one is small and can be monitored with ultrasound.  Usually leaving half the thyroid in place can avoid the need for thyroid medications or at least make it easier to dose.  I assume you mean 0.8cm as 0.8mm would be too small for ultrasound to see.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now