Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
levothyroxine and itchy dry scalp

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

levothyroxine and itchy dry scalp

I have recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on levothyroxine (about the middle of September).  I went from taking 25mcg to 50mcg about three weeks ago.  For the past two weeks I have had a terrible itchy and flaky scalp and have been using a dandruff shampoo but it doesn't seem to be working.  Could this be a side effect from the medicine?
Tags: dry scalp
this is not a common side effect - likely unrelated.
I have this problem as well, but after much research I really don't think it is the medication that is causing the dryness. I believe it is from the hypothyroid problem itself. I have read many times that hypothyroid causes dry scaly skin, which I have found to be true on other parts of my body as well, but I have come to the conclusion this must be affecting my scalp too. I have had hypo for 20 yrs and for the past several months my levels have become unbalanced, so my dr. is working to balance them. I have only had the dry itchy scalp problem since the unbalance started.
Now, with all that said I have found that using Head & Shoulders w/zinc and something that starts with a "P" helps alot, along with Scalpacin treatments which can be bought at any store. I have read alot about apple cider vingar and tea tree oil as well if your problem becomes worse.
Hopefully when your thyroid levels are balanced the dry scalp will get better as well...so I'm hoping as well. Hope this helps~
I agree...I think it's a symptom of hypo. I had the same thing. Since being treated for hypo, it has not returned. I would give your levels some time to regulate before ruling thyroid out as the culprit.

I found that head -n- shoulders made mine itch worse. I used the Niaxin (not sure on the spelling) shampoo and conditioner and that helped so much. I think it can only be purchased at certain hair salons but I am not sure. Either way, it is WELL WORTH IT if your itch is really bad!
Good luck!
Thank you both so much for your posts.  I have tried the cidar vinegar but I don't think I have done it enough times to get results.  I also tried head and shoulders and it seemed to make it worse.  I am now trying T-Gel to see if that stops the itch and the flaking.  It is just embarassing that I can't even wear a dark colored shirt.  Never in my life have I had dandruff like this.  If the T-Gel doesn't work, I will see if I can find the stuff you recommended in my local salon.

Thank you both so much.
I have the same issues- had thyroid cancer, removal of thyroid.  I use regular shampoo with tea tree oil and find that it works better than dry scalp shampoos. Tea tree oil also helps in the bath with skin dryness (probably any oil would help- I've heard Olive Oil helps too, but tea tree works well for me.)
A related discussion, Itchy scalp was started.
A related discussion, Itching on scalp and other areas was started.