Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
lump in neck after thyroid surgery?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

lump in neck after thyroid surgery?

Hi, this is my first time on this site so i will get straight to it. I am a 27 year old male and i just had a sub partial thyroidectomy about 4 months ago. well the scar seems to be healing alright however, now there is a lump in my neck right in the middle where the incision was. is this scar tissue or what? and will this go away? its been there since the operation it seems but it doesnt seem to be going away, any thoughts? its quite noticeable (especially to me and when i swallow) and there is some pain upon waking and when i press on it.
If the lump was not there the first month or so after surgery and now has recently appeared, would have the endocrinologist do an ultrasound to see what's there.  It may just be scar tissue that will take up to a year (from surgery) to flatten out.  But with the pain, it is worth having it checked out.
I have just had a parathyroidectomy with a subtotal thyroidectomy about 6 weeks ago. I had a lot of trouble with my calcium levels being so low that I had to go to the emergency room 6 times with tetany(muscle cramping/spasms). The scar on my neck is healed but I still have to take 12-1200 mg tablets of calcium a day plus, 4-0.5 mg of Calcitriol a day. Now, my doctor has put me on Synthroid. My neck has a lump in it and it feels like I am breathing through a thin straw. Will this go away? Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this? Hope this is not permanent.  Donna
I had a Subtotal thyroidectomy performed 5 weeks ago and have a lump in my neck which started to bother me about a week ago and I too feel now like I sometimes am breathing through a straw.  I saw your message is from April.  Did you get any better since then and what did your doc say?
Hi there.  I posted a note a note for Donna but it was actually meant for you (APOLOGIES).  I had a subtotal thyroidectomy performed 5 weeks ago and about a week ago I started feeling a selling in the area of the incision and from your comment in April i read that you too experienced a sensation of breathing through a straw.  Did it go away and how was it treated?  I have a sensation of pressure on my windpipe and occasionally feel like I'm gagging.  Please help - I'm feeling desperate at the moment.  Thanks! :-)
Thanks i'll have another endocrinologist look at it, the one that i did ask just told me it will either go away on its own or it will stay like that ( i think thats bs ). the lump hasnt really gotten any bigger and as i can recall it has been there ever since i had surgery 4 months ago.
I had a full thyroidectomy 3 weeks ago and I have a "hard" spot in the middle of my neck right above the incison which feels sore to the touch. I am having trouble swallowing and feel a tightness across the front on my throat I have to look down to swallow food and drink. It is getting a little better since I have been doing neck stretches but the hard spor is still there. The surgeon told me to massage the area with cocoa butter (I have very bad keloids as well). I think it is scar tissue but have not been told that. I also think it is in the spot where they had a drain after the surgery. There is a lump in the center of my neck when I swallow I think it is very noticible and its almost as if the skin is adhering t something underneath. I hope this is not permanant its very uncomfortable.
had a full thyroidectomy 3 weeks ago and I have a "hard" spot in the middle of my neck right above the incison which feels sore to the touch. I am having trouble swallowing and feel a tightness across the front on my throat I have to look down to swallow food and drink. It is getting a little better since I have been doing neck stretches but the hard spor is still there. The surgeon told me to massage the area with cocoa butter (I have very bad keloids as well). I think it is scar tissue but have not been told that. I also think it is in the spot where they had a drain after the surgery. There is a lump in the center of my neck when I swallow I think it is very noticible and its almost as if the skin is adhering t something underneath. I hope this is not permanant its very uncomfortable.
A related discussion, Status post thyroid surgery was started.