Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
lump in throat

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

lump in throat

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in Feb/08.  Since starting on synthroid, I have had a feeling of a "lump" in my throat and also it sometimes gets so bad, it gives me a headache.  My blood levels now show "normal' but this problem is getting worse.  What could it be?  Also, since starting on the synthroid, I am often getting heart fluttering.  Is this normal?  
Would have your doctor evaluate the thyroid by palpation and possibly ultrasound to see if the lump may be a thyroid nodule.
You may have to re-check the TSH level  to make sure that the dose of Syntroid is not too high (to cause Hyperthyroidism)
I really think that the Synthroid is the problem with my pressure in the throat.  Is it possible to stop the synthroid until I see my Dr.?  I have an appointment booked for June 12th.  Why would I have a thyroid nodule all of a sudden?  Is it possible that starting the synthroid did this?  I felt fine before the synthroid and I am starting to feel I should never have gone on it.  I don't know what my levels were but I don't think they were very high.  Thank you.  
Not a doctor, just a patient.
I have a constant feeling of a lump in my throat, and there is a lump in my throat. I haven't been on the med since last November.  Initially, I went to the doc with that lump feeling, long before being diagnosed with thyroid disease and being put on any med. Lumps are probably a result of the disease process, not the Synthroid.

You probably should get the ultra sound to make sure.
Best wishes to you.
Follow the medical doctor's advice.  Don't trust anything else.