Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
medication & excercise
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

medication & excercise

I finally received the results from my uptake scan and the conclusion was that my thyroid issues stems from Graves Disease.  The medication I have been given is an anti-thyroid called methimazole 15mg.  Before the lab results came back an internal medicine doc had prescribed the beta blocker Propranaolo 80 mg but I stopped taking after a week because I was feeling groggy.  I have been cleared by my endo to resume moderate excercise as long as I keep an eye on my heart rate.  I have only been on the anti-thyroid med for about a week so the thyroid hasnt really normalized and my heart rate still got pretty high during my last physical activity (190 bpm).  Would I be ok to start back the beta blocker while I am taking the anti-thyroid?  I am willing to be a little tired if the beta blocker will control my heart rate so that I can race agin.