Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
methimazole 10mg
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
methimazole 10mg
i went to hospital I had ultrasound done of my thyroid they said it was ok , i had blood test done and givem meds methimazole 10mg  after takinf it  a got a hot flash and it made my head feel funny I felt like I was losing it , when I got home I took it and felt the same I stopped taking it , My endroconologist sent me for more test  thyroid test  uptake I123 .  are there side effects to all meds for thyroind im confuse and afraid of meds . Im concerned of the iodine testing  and radiation. I want asked any questions  by dr  will hospital ask me ? thank you
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
97953 tn?1440868992
Sometimes it takes several days to get used to the medication.  Methimazole is the most common treatment world-wide for Graves disease -- try to stick with it if you can.  Commone side effects are nausea, rash, joint/muscle pains - rare side effects are liver toxicity and low immune system.

The I-123 test is very safe and can provide useful information.

I usually favor methimazole before going on to I-131 treatment in patients with graves hyper.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
259041 tn?1206486447
if you are just starting the meds, it might not be that but just your high levels of thyroid hormone. What are your symptoms? Get a copy of your labs and post them. It takes awhile for the stored thyroid hormone to go back down even after starting meds. Give it 2 weeks anyway, or maybe start on 5 mgs. instead, it depends on your labs.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
Comment
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now