Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
new thyroid results someone PLEASE help....

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

My new results r all confusing tsh 3.56 (0.20-4.00)
Free t4 15 (9-22)
free t3 6.2 (2.5-5.6)

My dr also said i have very high prolactin level. (which was also tested a month ago but with normal results)

My last test results taken 2 weeks before the new test were.

tsh 1.47 (0.20-4.00)
free t4 13 (9-22)
free t3 5.3 (2.5-5.6)

My dr is saying i am be heading towards hyper but high tsh doesnt it mean hypo??? and dont u guys think my results r increasing quite rapidly???

plzz reply i really need help..
she is sending me to mri of brain to see any prolactin tumor is present and ultrasound of thyroid she willing to give treatment for prolacting but not thyroid yet...

plzz help...
The T3 is high but otherwise thyroid tests are fairly normal.  I agree with the MRI of brain due to high prolactin.  One very rare cause of the thyroid tests would be a TSH secreting tumor but this should be detected by the MRI as well.  Again, this is very rare.  If the PRL was normal last month, the current test results are confusing and likely a repeat in 3-4 weeks will be suggested before any treatment.  Be sure to tell your doctor about all meds, supplements and herbs you may be taking.
Did your doctor test antibodies?

With the varying TSH you could have Hashimoto's Disease an auto-immune disease that kills the thyroid gland if it continues

In fact your rising TSH indicates hypothyroidism, the ranges are 0.3-3.00..anything over 2.00 has big red flags all over it especially if accompanied by symptoms. How do you feel??

Go here

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

and here for symptoms

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com/long-and-pathetic/

Lots of info and a forum where you can ask questions
hi yes i do have all the symptoms but doesnt high t3 mean that u have hyperthyroid...????
Yes I see what you mean....did your doctor do an antibodies test?.................if you have Hashi's then your results can fluctuate

Are you on any meds now? Your FT4 is slightly on the low side

I would suggest getting an antibodies test done (Hashimoto's and Graves)

I also suggest Hash's antibody test (TPO).

Are you using any hormone replacement?

If you do have Hash's, all of the thyroid test is worthless.  The only way to treat is by symptoms.  It often takes "excessive" amounts of hormone (Armour is the best) to get results.  Once your thyroid is suppressed, you may be able to back down on the Armour.
Thanx for the replies yes antibodies where checked but nothing showed up. now they are going to do ultrasound and maybe fna of thyroid gland...
i am very confused...
Have you had your adrenal glands tested? Your thyroid hormones can be high or in the upper range of 'normal', but you can have hypo symptoms because of low cortisol. Cortisol is required for the thyroid hormones to get into the cells. So low cortisol can cause hypothyroid, because the thyroid hormones are not getting into the cells!! Of which may explain why the blood thyroid levels are high.

High TSH is sign of hypo, not hyper. By the way, you will have problems on thyroid meds with untreated adrenal problem.