Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
no thyroid/220 tsh

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

no thyroid/220 tsh
i have no thyroid due to cancer several years ago. i have been without my synthroid for over 3 months. my Dr. is no longer practicing and i currently have no insurance. my script is out. i went to the Er because i have been feeling a constant "butterly flutter" feeling in my arms and legs, cramping/muscle pains, swollen face and hands, extreme dry skin and feeling tired. my tsh levels came back at 220 and my t4 is .1  I was told by the er Dr. that she would not give me a script because hypothyroidism is not life threatening. I am having trouble getting in to a new Dr. without any insurance. How dangerous is this and what can I expect form here? I am 46 year old female.
This is a severe hypothyroidism.  He absolutely need to be on medication.  While may not be immediately life-threatening patients can go into a coma with this severe hypothyroidism.  You should go into any walk-in clinic rather than an ER for this.  Good luck.
Hello, the ER doctor is wrong.  Hypothyroid is life threatening, particularly if you don't have a thyroid.  

You need a scrip for your synthroid.  You need to be taking your meds again.  Please do not delay.  Go to any clinic or ER until you can get one.  It would probably help if you have a copy of your old script to show them.
thank you very much for your response. I did finally get a ten day script and am working on getting into another dr. to have it continued.
Am very glad to hear that you got some initial meds.  It is critical for you to be on your meds long term and consistently.

Hope you are feelign much better soon.

Best wishes