Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
pains in upper arms
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

pains in upper arms

Hi.
I have recently been suffering from aches and pains in my upper arms and shoulders only.
I only have the pains when i raise my hands, or pick something that is heavy up.

Thanks.
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
would test thyroid function (blood test) as thyroid problems can cause muscle weakness - but this may not have anything to do with thyroid.
6 Comments
Blank
259041_tn?1206486447
Do you have Graves? This can make the muscles weak in thighs and upper arms. Are you being treated with meds?
Blank
I too had severe upper arm and shoulder aches. As my thyroid came within the normal range, I have hypothyroid, the lessened and seem to be going away. Hope that helps.

Bern7475
Blank
259041_tn?1206486447
That's funny leesha, as my levels got more hypo, my pains started. I was fine when I was hyper before meds. I wish I knew what causes this, it seems very common among thyroid patients. Any answer Dr. Lupo?
Blank
I too was hypo thyroid and since I am on Syntroid my THS levels are back to normal, but I developed severe pain in my left shoulder and can no longer reach up with my left arm.  I read somewhere that shoulderpain is common amongst those who have a low functioning thyroid...  I wish I knew a solution.  
Blank
I have been taking Syntroid for about a year and my THS levels are back to normal.  Still I got a sudden pain in my left upper arm one day.  It just started one morning and has only gotten worse since.  I feel like an invalid and can no longer lift that arm or reach back.  Anything I should know about?  Could it be auto antibodies?
What should I do?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank