Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
pituitary gland tumor

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

pituitary gland tumor

Hello, I'm 35 years old. About 6 years ago i was diagnose with a 'pituitary Gland Tumor'.
Since then I'd been having severe headaches that doesn't last for more than a minute, but make my body feel heavy, my vision double and blurry, the headaches are so intense that I feel like I'm going to die. My vision in my left eye is getting worse in the last two weeks, to the point that is been a chalenge for me to drive. My eye doctor told me that I have a damage optic nerve. I'm planning on getting pregnant, but this situation is putting my plans on hold. My doctor is been controlling my headaches with 'Topomax (topamax)' but since I want to get pregnant I haven't take my medication for a couple of months and my headaches a getting worse. My Dr doesn't think the headaches are related to the tumor, but sometimes when I'm driving I have to pull over because I know a headache is coming.
Can you give some advice on what to do?
How does the tumor will affect my pregnancy?
Why do I have those headaches?
Can I die in one of those headaches attacks?
Please help me, give me some info.
Thanks and God bless
Catalina
You need a full endocrine evaulation to answer these questions in terms of pregnancy issues and hormone issues.  Also would recommend a neuro-ophthalmology evaluation to see if the tumor is casuing some of these symptoms and further evaluate the "optic nerve damage".  The size of the tumor is also important.  Headaches may be related or may be migraines that are unrelated.
hi katy,when was your last mri? i had a pituitary tumor and it gave me headaches to.my tumor got into my optic nerve and i started losing my vision in left eye.if its been a while since you had a mri i would get one to see if your tumor is growing in your optic nerve.i would get very bad headaches and sick to my stomach. have a mri done soon to make sure the tumor hasent grew into your optic nerve,before you get pregnant.mine grew into my optic nerve and had to have sugery to save my vision. i dont want to scare you but if it has reached the optic nerve you will go blind and my surgen said without the sugery i would die. im sorry if i scared you ,but please have the mri as soon as possible.i had a craitomoy and now i can see and my tumor is all gone, wish you the best.
Thank you very much for your information. I have an appoiment tomorrow with my eye surgeon and on Wed, with my family Dr. I'll ask him to send me with the Neurologist to get  an MRI.
I'll keep you inform
Blessings
Katy
My last MRI was about 3 years ago. :-(
hi katy, im glad your going for a mri. i hope everythings fine. i cant understand why they dont give you yearly mris . i still have to go 1 time a year. wish you the best,brainpain