Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
post thyroidectomy problems

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

post thyroidectomy problems
It has been 2 months since my total thyroidectomy.  I have suffered hypoparathyriodism with hypocalcemia. I am always sick now.  Also I have a feeling of something stuck in my throat and difficulty swallowing.  I need to know what is  causing the troat problem and when, if ever, I might get relief from the low blood calcium.  I'm thinking that after 2 months, I should not be experiencing either of these problems.  I know the cause of the low blood calcium, but not the throat problem and I dont know the prognosis for either of them. Please give me a realistic idea when, if ever I might expect either problem to go away.  
It may take several months for the calcium to stabilize even w/ medications.
The difficulty swallowing may take 6-12 months to improve - it is likely some scar tissue "tethering" the esophagus or the muscles involved in surgery.