Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
pulmonary nodule in thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

pulmonary nodule in thyroid
My husband was diagnosed with pneumonia last week and not getting better so a CT was ordered. Results show substernal goiter on left due to pulmonary nodule inubsternal left lower pole of thyroid. Nodule measures 3.2x3cm  in another area it is called a hypodense nodule and is measured at 3x3.7cm   he is scheduled for ultrasound Thursday but I would like clarification on pulmonary nodule. I thought that was a lung nodule and don't understand it being in thyroid. Can you help me understand this a little better?
During the CT scan of the chest to evaluate the lung nodule, the protocol includes glimpses of the neck and thyroid area.  Therefore the finding of a thyroid nodule in this setting is "incidental" but does need ultrasound for further evaluation and probable biopsy given the size.
That should say "in substernal left lower pole" in my post. Sorry for the typo