Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
questions about salt

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

questions about salt
How little salt is too little?  I mean table salt, but I wonder if the salt I don't use at home even matters based on what I've read.  See, I seem to have some symptoms of thyroid problems, & I just don't like salt very much, it's a constant bone of contention between my husband & I (he salts EVERYTHING).  Available info is very confusing, and apparantly iodized/not iodized salt in processed foods is impossible to determine.  I've read that processors don't use iodized, & I've read that about half the time they do.  Which is right?  I would like to know more before I embarrass myself by asking my doctor.  I'm eating Chili-Cheese Fritos right now, and the third ingredient on the label is SALT, but iodine is not listed.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
I'd like to know how salt affects the thyroid as well, I stopped using salt in my cooking because of the swollen hands,legs and feet.If you touch me anywhere, you will leave a handprint because of the fluid retention,Someone had told me that you need the iodine in salt for your thyroid, so what do I do?
A related discussion, Edema from....What? was started.