Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
severe hair breakage on cytomel

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

severe hair breakage on cytomel

Hi Dr Lupo,

I was on cytomel for two years, during the first six I notice my hair texture was changing but I kept on the cytomel because I was trying to clear my rt3 problem and my doctor said the is the only way to rid myself of reverse t3.  during those years my Ft3 became high and I notice that my hair got very dry and brittle and starting to break off.  By the next year I did n't have much lenght left.  This year in January my hair got  so brittle and dry it broke off int he back  it looked like my head was shaved.  I stopped the cytomel in February and added snythroid(which I was on for 16 yrs) and my hair started to grow, but I got reverse t3 again and the doctor put me back on cytomel lower dose of only 25mg, prior to that I was on 81.75 for almost the two years.  Once I was on cytomel again my hair statred to break off again.  Now I am taking naturethroid but my hair is not growing and still breaking off I don't have much hair left   it's so short I have to get a wig.  I can't seem to get better again after being on cytomel for so long.  I can't gain weigh, my skin is also dry.  Prior to cytomel my hair and scalp were oily and my skin.  My oil gland are not producing any oil.  scalp dry    I don't know what to do about the hair breakage.  I know it has to be the cytomel because when I stopped it got better the first time, but this time around I can't seem to get things to work.  I am on 2grain of naturethid and I don't feel better.  I was so much better when I was on synthroid for those 16 yrs.  I don't know why I ruined my life this way.  What can I do?  
I would see an endocrinologist and get back on synthroid, stopping the naturethroid and lowering or stopping the cytomel.  Reverse T3 has no role in management of thyroid replacement hormone.
Does taking cortef for serveral years cause hair to fall out or break?