Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
shortness of breath upon exertion

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

shortness of breath upon exertion

I have been short of breath upon exertion for the past six months, 24/7, whereas before that I was working out at the gym three days a week. I have had extensive workups for my heart and lungs, however the only abnormal test in all this time is that I have autoimmune thyroiditis. My TSH has been up to a 3 and now is below 0, so it is flucuating, however there is no change in my condition. An endocrinologist put me on Syhthroid (.25mcg) for a couple of months and all I did was go from hypo to hyper, so we stopped that.  Is there any other way we can treat the thyroid and see if this shortness of breath subsides? My ultrasound was normal, too. Thank you for any help that anyone can give me on this subject, as it has been quite a challenge......
Hyperthyroidism can cause the feeling of shortness of breath.  If you went hyper on only 25mcg of Synthroid, the concern would be to check for either a thyroiditis or Graves' disease although the initial presentation was more consistent with borderline hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's.