Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
shrinking goiter with meds
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

shrinking goiter with meds

I thought my thyroid was in control after changing my meds to armour thyroid. Then I started having swelling on the left side of my neck again. The doctor said I had a goiter and it can probably be shrunk by over medication. I was fine for a week on my new dose of meds and the swelling went away and I was great. Then I started having intermittent tightening in my chest and heart pounding. I called the doctor and meds reduced down. I was taking 65 mg amour and 25 synthoid. Dr. reduced the synthoid to 7.5 mg and my heart is still doing weird things... but not at bad.
I really want my goiter to shrink but how much is to much in the heart dept! Has anyone had this experience and does your body adjust to this. When my heart starts pounding I feel like freaking out. When it does not I feel so good! This is a very distrubing combination...  
97953_tn?1193367871
We don't routinely suppress goiter/nodules with thyroid medications in the absence of a high baseline TSH or specific risk factors (iodine deficiency, radiation exposure).  Armour is more likely to over-stimulate the heart than synthroid.  The most important lab is TSH -- you may want another opinion from an endocrinologist on the need for thyroid meds in this case.  Some do experience decrease in goiter, but most don't and the heart/bone risk generally outways the potential benefit.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank