Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
small lump on thyroid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

small lump on thyroid

I am a 35 year old female with hypo. I am on 150 synthroid. I had an ultrasound on my neck last week because of tightness in the throat. Today the office called and said that there is a very small lump. Too small to biopsy. They want to monitor the lump and see what happens. Does this sound like common practice?
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
Yes - lumps (nodules) are common - in 35yo females may see small nodules in up to 20-25%.  If they are <1cm then usually can be watched -- would repeat in 4-6 months to see if it changes.  For any given nodule there is only a 5% chance it is benign.  If it is greater than 1cm then I would usually go ahead with an ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration.  If there is a history of radiation exposure to the neck (esp as a child) or a family history of thyroid cancer then closer follow-up may be necessary.
7 Comments
Blank
Avatar_n_tn
5% chance of being benign? that means 95% malignant?
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
I think Dr, Mark may have mistyped that or missed the 9 in 95%. I know he probably won't be back on til tomorrow night & I didn't want you to worry all night so I looked it up fo you....I hope Dr. Mark doesn't mind.  God Bless!!!
Thyroid Nodule, nodules, thyroid, radiation, thyroid cancer ...
Discusses basic facts, questions, symptoms, treatment, what to do if you have nodules, and radiation exposure. From EndocrineWeb.
www.endocrineweb.com/nodule.html -
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
fROM THE ENDROCRINE SIE ABOVE:
Updated 9/5/05

Basic facts about thyroid nodules

Simply put, thyroid nodules are lumps which commonly arise within an otherwise normal thyroid gland. Often these abnormal growths of thyroid tissue are located at the edge of the thyroid gland so they can be felt as a lump in the throat. When they are large or when they occur in very thin individuals, they can even sometimes be seen as a lump in the front of the neck. The  following is a list of facts regarding thyroid nodules:


One in 12 to 15 young women has a thyroid nodule
One in 40 young men has a thyroid nodule
More than 95 percent of all thyroid nodules are benign (non-cancerous growths)
Some are actually cysts which are filled with fluid rather than thyroid tissue
Most people will develop a thyroid nodule by the time they are 50 years old
The incidence of thyroid nodules increases with age
50% of 50 year olds will have at least one thyroid nodule
60% of 60 year olds will have at least one thyroid nodule
70% of 70 year olds will have at least one thyroid nodule




Blank
Avatar_n_tn
Thanks much for your kind comments.  I did want to let you know that I have never once been offended at anything you have posted. When I made refrence to people in the medical field, such as nurses, misunderstanding, I had in mind another event that recently happened where I live.
Let me explain: For "thyroid wareness month" (Jan.), I contacted my local paper in Dec., wanting to offer a newsletter for thyroid patients I started writing in Dec. but also wanted to plug a website we have here locally, for autoimmune disease patients, including thyroid. Instead the editor, who's son has hypothyroidism, wanted to do a story about this outreach. So, myself and the man's wife, who has the website (she has lupus, he has hypothyroidism), did an interview.
During it, the editor asked me how long it took to be diagnosed and I went into my story about going through several Dr.s and not being sent for blood tests, instead being suggested my condition was emotional, needing antidepressants etc...
I didn't know the lady with lupus was a nurse! She became very offended, eventhough I did not state anything in a negative or attacking way and she said that incidents like mine were never due to improper treatment but misunderstandings. The editor jumped in and said "My son and several members of my family, went through the same thing and I also did and it caused me to be Dr.-phobic." Since this happened, this couple, with the website, will not communicate with me in any form. I had no idea the newspaper editor (a lady) was going to have similar experiences.
Anyway, this is what I was referring to and on a positive note, I have heard nothing but great things about the Dr. this nurse works for and no matter how many bad experiences people might relate, it doesn't take away from the importance and deserved-praise true medical people all deserve!! I actually told the nurse this but they still treat me like the plague. I also made it clear to her and the editor, that there are NO NEGATIVES in my newsletter, toward the medical field or anyone else, it is simply "general" info., to help educate about thyroid disease, symptoms that prompt a Dr. visit, blood tests uded in diagnosus etc...
Nurselpn, your posts have also always been informative and respectful. Your concerns about self-dosing, putting every patient into same catagory, etc..., are very important views that DO NEED to be expressed and I am glad you have!
I think you may have percieved me to be offended but there has not been a single time, honestly! Your posts have always been helpful, you are appreciated!
Sincerely,
JimLow
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Thank You Jim Low...
After that last altercation in Dec.05 I was actually considering writing Med Help to change my name on here. LOL. I appreciate the boost in self confidence. I really appreciate this site & forum & have learned so much about thyroid disease. I hope I never get a forceful & unyeilding attitude But come here to learn more & share my experiences as you do.
Last night I googled Tabtools web site. I may also consider doing something like that when I feel better.
You know when this disease is uncontrolled the depression seems to overwhelm all the other symptoms. Symptoms that affect every aspect of our lifes from family relationships, to work to our well being physically, emotionally, & financially. The symptoms sneek up on us so slowly until they have taken over our lives & our bodies. By the time we present ourselves to physicans, we are a basket case & depression is obivous & the first & foremost thought. Even after our disease is under control sometimes I think we suffer from post tramatic stress syndrome. Because there was times in the past couple of years I thought I was going to die & times I wished I had. You know, I really hate to admit that. At times this has been overwhelming for me, I have gone from extreme hyper that stopped me in my tracks-to extreme hypo that did the same. This disease has trully affected every aspect of my life. As I'm sure you well understand. Thank God I have had a Dr. who listens but he also first thouht depression on my initial visit. Since my diagnosis I have been off work, which most people would'nt understand. I think it's hard for someone who hasn't experienced this to identify with thyroid suffers .
I know there are poor Dr's & nurses out just like any other profession. But also some very wonderful caring medical professionals in which their job is a calling. But you & I know there was only one perfect human that walked this earth. I might say most times illness is a puzzle with many different pieces. Sometimes the pieces get treated instead of the picture. It's hard to make excuses for that, but one missed piece can change the picture dramatically. Well enough of that.
It's nice to have you back........@:-)
Blank
97953_tn?1193367871
YES  -  95% benign - thanks nurselpn
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank