Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
surgical report from md - good but with a ? mark

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I had my hemi thyroid surgery two weeks ago and my surgeon called me with a verbal report, altho I am going in for follow up in a few days.  I had two 1.3, 1.4 nodules  -- one benign, one indeterminate due to insufficient sample- so then went for hemi.  

He said there was an 8 mm area (tiny) that showed some "malignancy" but not containing any of the hallmarks of malignancy such as capsular or blood vessel invasion.  He almost seemed to be hesitant to use the word "malignant".  Two groups of pathologists evaluated.  At one point I thought MD said that pathologists were not even quite sure about calling it malignant?  Interesting fact -- report stated that 43 identical cases were reviewed and there was no change/recurrence after ten years in ANY of these cases.  (referring to this pathology).  

I will talk to him but it has already been pretty well established between he and I that no further surgery is going to happen.  I am thinking followup ultrasound will be my choice of action.  Risks of surgery would seem to far outweigh the rewards of taking this "low grade whatever"  to the next level.

I guess my question is -- have you encountered this and would you care to comment?  Thank you.

Marilyn

P.S. and I have to keep reminding myself that this 8mm area is "gone" at this point as that lobe was removed!  
Sounds low risk and observation rather than additional treatment is likely the best course.