Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

thyroid

A thyroid reading of 22.8 means?
need to know which lab -- TSH, total T4 --- in most cases it's abnormal, but would need to know which lab it is.  
-5 Comments
Which one is 22.8 and what are your Labs reference range??
I AM WONDERING IF MY DOCTOR MADE THE CORRECT DX. OF HYPOTHYROIDISM.  I HAVE HAD SEVERAL TSH TESTS WITH SOME ELEVATED AND SOME NORMAL AND THAT WAS BEFORE I STARTED ON ARMOUR THYROID WHICH I HAVE BEEN TAKING FOR ONE MONTH NOW.  MY FREE T3 AD T4 ARE NORMAL. (THAT WAS PRIOR TO MY TAKING ARMOUR)  I AM SUPPOSED TO SEE HER IN JUNE WHICH  WILL BE IN THREE MONTHS. I TAKE 15MICROGRAMS IN THE MORNING AND  IN THE EVENING.  I
I DO FEEL BETTER BUT, AS STILL WONDERING IF SHE  IS CORRECT.  SHE IS A NEW DOCTOR AND IS JUST FINISHING SCHOOL.
ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED.

It sounds like your dr made the right call saying you have hypothyroid, based on your TSH of 22.

Her treatment for you is also appropriate (though could just as well use thyroxine T4).  She will likely test you regularly and get your TSH level down to well within the normal range (usually 1 - 2 for a woman).

Glad you are feeling better.  This is likely from the treatment.

Trust your Doctor.  Being young and a new doctor, she has been studying a lot lately and should be very up-to-date with appropriate treatments and management of thryoid condition.

Sally
A related discussion, TSH, T3 and  T4 was started.