Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
thyroid and potassium
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

thyroid and potassium

In January blood work showed TSH of 6.76 (ref 0.27 - 4.2) and potassium of 5.6 (ref 3.0 - 5.1). My levothyroxine dose has been increased to deal with the thyroid. Do you know of any link between hypothyroid and increased potassium level? Or could you suggest any other tests that I should have done at blood test next week?
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
unlikely directly related in this situation.  If potassium still high -- and you are not on any blood pressure meds -- consider check of adrenal glands (acth stim test) as occassionally patients with hypothyroidism have adrenal insufficiency (addison's) which can cause a high potassium.
-7 Comments
Blank
Well, Aldosterone is a hormone produced and secreted by the adrenal glands that signals the kidneys to excrete less sodium and more potassium. So if you havent had your tests yet, you might want to have your Aldosterone level checked.

But generally speaking, if your Aldosterone level is high, then you would probably be experiencing some other symptoms.

I dont really know of  a correlation per se, except that the pituitary gland is responsible for TSH levels as well as partly reponsible for controlling the Aldosterone levels. The remainder of the control for Aldosterone levels comes from the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system.
Blank
RE: My last post

EDIT: Should have said "LOW aldosterone levels would probably exhibit other symptoms"
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979