Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
thyroid/cytomel

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

thyroid/cytomel

This past week I have changed from sythroid only to a combination of Cytomel(T3) and Synthroid. Does anyone else use this combination and if so what ratio of each medication.
Example right now I am taking 75 mg of synthroid and 50 mg of Cytomel. That is down from taking 150mg of only sythroid.  Just today I have started having some symptoms that make me believe it needs to be increased.  I would like to here from someone else who is taking a combination and what ratio your meds are.
I think when I finaly get the proper dosage this will really work for me.
Thanks Beth
If any one else is taking Cytomel or researched it please tell me your story!!! So far I have posted here twice with no response with different questions.  This is a different approach than taking synthroid only.  I would think some people would be interested.
I am sure there may be interested people in your combo but many doctors RX Armour Thyroid (one pill) instead of Synthroid and Cytomel (2 pills) as Armour has both T3 and T4 in this.

With Cytomel they normally have you take this twice a day.  Onece in the morning and once in the later afternoon.  This is what I was told and heard from several doctors. I was on the lowest dosage twice a day for a month. Then switched. Good Luck.
My mother was just put on Cytomel once/day for six weeks along with her normal dosage of Synthroid 325mcg. She is on the maximum dosage of Synthroid, but after suffering from sudden episodes of vertigo and a number of tests later, they determined that her TSH was 40. They were concerned given that she's on the max medication. She hadn't missed doses or changed her routine.

She just began taking Cytomel today and my curiousity about this medication is equally prompted by the fact that I inherited her thyroid and have Hashimotos/Hypothyroid which is controled on Synthroid at this time.
I'll check in on this thread once I have feedback from her as to how she's feeling and if she learns anything more about it as she goes along. I'll be interested to see how you're doing as well.
Good luck to you.
Thank you for sharing with me.  I have been on Cytomel and Synthroid for 5 weeks now and I feel great!  I have lost 5 pounds w/out trying.  It was not easy at 1st I kind of crashed the 1st 2 wks during switching over.  I got a cold, sleepy again but I hung in there and by the 3rd week felt good.  I go for my blood work in a week or so I will make a new post then on my progress.  I feel like they may lower my meds just a little.
I use .5 cytomel twice a day with 200mg of synthorid (I had my thyroid removed). I've been doing this for two years.  I feel fine. I go in every 6 months to test my levels.
That should be 200mcg of synthroid.
I have been on Synthroid since I was 18 years old.  Now at 43 I have been have a lot of problems with my thyroid for the last couple of years. Finally, after being tested for MS, Lupus and diagnosed with chronic fatigue and epstein barr and CMV. They now feel that my simple hypothyroidism has turned into Hashimoto.  
Earlier this year my endocrinologist upped my Synthroid.  So far I have gone from .1mcg up to .175mcg.  I started having palpitations with the highest dose and now am taking half a .150 and half of a .175mcg.  This give me a dose of .162.5mcg.  A few days ago when I saw my endocrinologist again he said my T3 abnormal.  We had discussed adding Cytomel a while back but the Reverse T3 and other T3 tests had always been normal until now.  He added Cytomel 5mcgs and I have been on it a week.  I have had none of the side affects such as palpitations etc with this dose.  I'm kind of hoping that he will incease it with my next visit.  
This last couple of years have been really rough.  I'm finally taking baby steps to getting better. My brain fog is better and fuzzy vision is better.  I still hurt all the time so the fibromyalgia is still at it's peak.  
Will keep all posted on my progress as things change.
A related discussion, synthroid with cytomel was started.
A related discussion, Does cytomel help with metabolism and regularity? was started.