Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
thyroid surges

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

thyroid surges

I had a subtotal bilateral thyroidectomy about a year ago.  What's left of my thyroid continues to surge (heart palps, diahrea, body shakes, flu feeling, although not as horrendous as when the whole thing was trying to kill me.) It seems to surge in about 3 month intervals.  I still do not need to take synthroid.  I am a female in mid 40's.

If it weren't for these surges I would be a very healthy person.

My question is this:  Is this normal for 3 grams of thyroid to still surge, and will it go away?  

P.S.  Thank you very much for any insight you can give me.
It's possible to have hyperthyroidism persist after a surgery.  Surges every three months is not typical of thyroid, but it may be the case.  When you have the symptoms, are the thyroid labs abnormal?  I would check the tsh, t4, t3 when the symptoms begin and 3-4 weeks later -- if these are truly normal, then it may not be thyroid related.  If the thyroid is periodically over-producing hormone causing these symptoms then radioactive iodine may be the best treatment.  Some patients have additional thyroid tissue that is not in the lower neck - we call this ectopic tissue and it often will reside in the upper-chest.  Usually this is noted during neck surgery for thyroid, but not all the time.  So - if you have persistent hyperthyroidism then I would recommend an I-123 uptake and scan to include images of the neck and upper chest (also referred to as mediastinum).
please help..    i have been trying to post a question for the last few week and i can not get through.  i have tried different times of the day and still no luck.  how are you guys able to post?  if the staff is able to read this message, please e.mail me the new instructions or let me know whats going on with posting situation.
I don't always read threads - keep trying to post a question - I will request that they increase the limit to 4/day (currently three)....Staff MD