Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
thyroid uptake
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

thyroid uptake

I just had a thyroid scan and uptake done, after 24 hours my uptake was 71%. My doctor is now sending me for a thyroid ultra sound right away. What else should i be worried about other than hyperthyroid?
Related Discussions
97953_tn?1193367871
Hyperthyroidism is a diagnosis based on blood tests -- in that setting the high uptake means you have either Graves or a toxic nodule(s) as the cause of the hyperthyroidism.  In some cases the scan will show a nodule (did it?).  I always do an ultrasound in my hyper patients even if the scan does not show a nodule.  In most cases there is nothing to worry about other than the hyper.  I hope that helps, the info given was limited....
4 Comments
Blank
My doctor said i have more than one nodule,independently overactive which is harder to treat.I am going for an ultra sound in the morning. Yesterday my doctor called me in a RX. for Innoprane XL 80mg once a day, he said it was a batta blocker and I need to take it until I see a specialest for treatment.We are having a hard time finding a specialest in my area. I dont have high blood pressure so I am still concerned about taking this medication, What do you think?
Blank
The beta blocker is probably to control your heart rate. When you are hyperthyroid one of the symptoms can be a rapid heart rate.
Blank
I am so confused and have been searching the internet unsuccessfully for answers.  I am hoping someone can shed light on my condition.

I am 33yrs old, never weighed over 110lbs except when preg. with my two kids, and even then it was a lot of work go gain the recommended 25lbs.  I am only 5' 2", so small frame.  

In the last year, I have been gaining weight.  I weighed 107lbs a year ago Nov. at my annual and this year in Nov I weight 112lbs..now I weight 119lbs.  12 lbs does not seem like much to most, but for someone who has always been petite..it is a nightmare.  

my bloodwork at dr.  showed TSH level .004   I went in for an uptake and scan..and technician said I was showing 42%  

So, tests point to hyperthyroid..but my symptoms don't???

Blank
A related discussion, hyperthyroid was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now