Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
thyroid uptake

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

thyroid uptake

I just had a thyroid scan and uptake done, after 24 hours my uptake was 71%. My doctor is now sending me for a thyroid ultra sound right away. What else should i be worried about other than hyperthyroid?
Hyperthyroidism is a diagnosis based on blood tests -- in that setting the high uptake means you have either Graves or a toxic nodule(s) as the cause of the hyperthyroidism.  In some cases the scan will show a nodule (did it?).  I always do an ultrasound in my hyper patients even if the scan does not show a nodule.  In most cases there is nothing to worry about other than the hyper.  I hope that helps, the info given was limited....
My doctor said i have more than one nodule,independently overactive which is harder to treat.I am going for an ultra sound in the morning. Yesterday my doctor called me in a RX. for Innoprane XL 80mg once a day, he said it was a batta blocker and I need to take it until I see a specialest for treatment.We are having a hard time finding a specialest in my area. I dont have high blood pressure so I am still concerned about taking this medication, What do you think?
The beta blocker is probably to control your heart rate. When you are hyperthyroid one of the symptoms can be a rapid heart rate.
I am so confused and have been searching the internet unsuccessfully for answers.  I am hoping someone can shed light on my condition.

I am 33yrs old, never weighed over 110lbs except when preg. with my two kids, and even then it was a lot of work go gain the recommended 25lbs.  I am only 5' 2", so small frame.  

In the last year, I have been gaining weight.  I weighed 107lbs a year ago Nov. at my annual and this year in Nov I weight 112lbs..now I weight 119lbs.  12 lbs does not seem like much to most, but for someone who has always been petite..it is a nightmare.  

my bloodwork at dr.  showed TSH level .004   I went in for an uptake and scan..and technician said I was showing 42%  

So, tests point to hyperthyroid..but my symptoms don't???

A related discussion, hyperthyroid was started.