Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
tired all the time and can't lose weight

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have always had a problem with a lack of energy. I wake up like I didn't even go to bed. For years I just lived with it but it's just getting too bad. Every year I have a physical and the doctor doesn't say that anything is wrong. But I am 5' tall and  176 lbs. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week for the last 8 months but I can't seem to lose any weight and I am not getting the increased energy that everyone seems to tell me comes from exercise. I ordered a copy of my latest test results. Can you tell me if something is off (BP 122/70  - Wt. 176  -Triglycerides 65  - total cholesterol 171  - LDL 88 - HDL 70 - T4 free 1.2 - T4 thyroxine total 8.1 - T3 uptake 32 - free T4 index (T7) 2.6 - TSH .51 - cortisol 9.6 - DHEA 539) Because of my weight, my doctor doesn't believe what I say about my diet and amount of exercise. I also don't drink or smoke. Thank for your time.
Labs look pretty good - it's not likely the thyroid.  Would consider sleep apnea as a cause of fatigue (esp if you snore) and would strictly count calories (800-1000/day in and exercise 45min/day).
It may not be how much you are eating but what you are eating. And also remember exercise build muscle which is heavier than fat. I am no health expert by far but you should maybe try weight watchers and getting the help of a physical trainer at your gym. Also if your insurance permits, get a 2nd opinion from another doctor. Talk to people, and find someone who has a good doctor and go. Some docs have to bedside manner and no patience for their patients
Look into Adrenal Fatigue.  Can you get to sleep but then wake up at 2am, 4am etc? and get up feeling like you havn't been to bed?
I use 25mg Phennegan (sp?) its a sedating anti histamine at night and this helps a lot as has deciding to start sorting out out my adrenals and thyroid.
check out http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/ has a lot of info, I have the book too!
Berlioz
I was diagnosed with graves disease about 8 months ago. I am taking 20mgs of tapazol a day. I was starting to feel better after 3 months of treatment, now i feel completely exhausted, lethargic, and depressed. I can't seem to get a good nights sleep. My weight has been stable for 4 months, and I see my endo the end of this month. Is it possible that I am becoming Hypo? I just feel really foggy. Are there any vitamins I should be taking? Also any advice?

Thanks so much!

Your symptoms sound like my daughter's--only she is only 18.  After a sleep study, she was told she had sleep apnea/hypopnea.  A cpap has greatly improved her energy, alertness and ability to not sleep 18+ hours a day.  Amazing!!!
what is a cpap?!?