Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
tsh level of 5.6 and the dr. has ordered an ultrasound...does this soun...

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

tsh level of 5.6 and the dr. has ordered an ultrasound...does this sound right?

Do you think an  ulrasound is needed with a test result of 5.6?  Thanks.
My wife just got diagoised with hypohydroidism and the ist thing her doctor wanted was an ultrasound. Most doctors don't request them at 1st but your doctor as my wife's are being very careful. I personally think they could wait but my wife said that she was glad the doctor is being safe.This way if there are more problems in the future she can get another ultrasound and compare to see if there may be a different problem. the ultrasound is the least expensive of the tests and the most easiest to do. I'm thinking that there are other symptons. Did they take the T4 levels? 5.6 by itself isn't that high but if the t4 is low with other symptons then it probably is a good thing to do.
Sounds pretty normal to me.  From my knowledge most dr's do the ultra sound as soon as levels come back abnormal or there is reason to believe that there is a thyroid problem.  I had normal levels too, they did an ultra sound to check for any abnormalities before starting me on my Synthroid.  It's good for them to know all that they are dealing with right from the start.  It's just a precaution, it's really good to find some things out from the start, better than later, when you might develop more problems due to them not checking.  I would take whatever tests they want to run right now, and be sure that everything is ok.  Just my two cents.  Were you having some bad symptoms is that what made them check your levels?
they just picked up an elevated tsh as part of routing blood work.
it's so hard to be sure what's going on, everyone is so different and different levels do different things to different people.  Some people feel fine, with an elevated TSH and others have so many symptoms at that time.  But if it's elevated, just a little which it is, I'm glad that the dr.  has decided to run more tests to make sure that you don't get to where you are feeling crummy, because you will, if it goes untreated.
The ultra sound is to check and see if you have any nodules and if you do they might suggest an uptake. I declined the uptake even they I had nodules. The uptake is to see if the nodules are cold or hot and they claim this is to check for thyroid cancer, but the only sure way to know if it is cancer is to remove it and test. So I would suggest to go ahead with the ultra sound, but I would do some more research if they suggest the uptake, only because they wanted me to drink some radiation stuff and not be able to be around people for a few days. To me this was just insane, I am not drinking anything that sounded that scary.
I AGREE WITH ALL THAT TOTALLY.  ULTRA SOUNDS ARE HARMLESS, BUT THE OTHER STUFF SOUNDS MORE DANGEROUS THAN SAFE.
2nd round of blood work showed TSH at 1.8, T3 at 277 and T4 at 8.4.  They just did another blood test last week and TSH was at 1.7.  So only the first blood test showed an elevated TSH.  I did the u/s which has showed some small nodules.  The doctor wants me to do the uptake - but I am thinking the first round of blood work was wrong and the other tests have been ordered because of the 1st test.  Aren't nodules pretty common in everyone?  Thanks.
A related discussion, TSH Level of 5.67 was started.