Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
underactive thyroid and hydrocodone
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

underactive thyroid and hydrocodone

Hi. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last fall. My synthroid is still being regulated to find the right dose for me.  My "multi-nodular goiter" first shrunk, but now seems to have changed shape.  I have also recently been diagnosed with several cervical disc bulges and pinched nerve(s) that cause neck, shoulder, back, and right arm pain and numbness. My Ortho doc has referred me to a neurologist orth.  Have to wait 3 weeks to see him, and have been put on Hydrocodone for the pain.

Question: the paperwork says to be cautious about taking the med if you have underactive thyroid. Pharmacy says don't worry about it, just "don't take the med 'consistently'".
Is this something I should worry about?

Just FYI: I had been taking Tramadol, but had to take myself off of it due to a bad reaction (after weeks on it).  I actually ended up in the hospital because of extreme nausiousness - couldn't eat or drink ANYTHING.

I really don't want to take any chances again.  Thanks for any help you can give me.
Doreen