Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
update on thyroid biopsy next endocrinologist

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

today is nov 22 2011. i did have the fine needle biopsy on nov 11 2011. i was awake they put novacaine in there first then took 5 needle samples with needles in my dominant thyroid nodule. i felt pressure and a little picking but no pain. when i got up from lying flat, i was dizzy . i stood on the gurnsey to get my balance and went home. i had a sore throat for a few days which i took tylenol and cough drops. it went away after awhile. well, today is nov 22. 2011 the surgeon's office called me and there is NO evidence of cancer. i am so thankful. the surgeon stated that he will now go on the advice of the endocrinologist whom i will be visiting the monday after thanksgiving to go from there. i may or may not need surgery. the left nodule is the size of a walnut. i also have three tiny left nodules and four tiny right nodules which are benign. what do you think he will tell me any feedback would be helpful thank you
If the FNA biopsy is benign and the nodule is not causing any problems, then it is typically observed with follow-up ultrasound.  If the nodule is suspicious clinically, then a repeat FNA or surgery is considered even if the first biopsy is benign (there is, on average, a 7% false negative rate --- lower in expert hands, but still not zero....)
my endocronologist wants to wait 6 months to observe my chestnut size nodule which was benign on fna. yes, he will then follow up with an ultrasound of the thyroid again. do you think i will have to have my entire thyroid out or just a segment. i also have very tiny nodules on right and left sides of thyroid which are benign i was told any help is sure appreciated thank you
the size of my thyroid nodule is 3 cm. is this a chestnut size thank you