Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
very high thyroperox AB test result

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

very high thyroperox AB test result

Hi, I am 43 year old female about 168 pounds.  I have had no health problems at all, not ever so I've never felt the need to have physicals or to see the doctor on a regular basis.  I did decide, however, that this year I should start getting yearly physicals because I am getting older.  I went in a couple of weeks ago and everything looked fine.  I did mention to her before I left that I was a little concerned about my thinning hair and if it was just a normal part of getting older.  She suggested I have a thyroid test also.  Well, the office called me last week and my TSH was 5.11 and my THYROPEROX AB was 992.0!!!!!  WOW! What could that mean????  I did read about hypothyroidism and I have experienced a 30 pound weight gain in the last three years but I just attributed that to eating a lot more than usual and not walking anymore like I used to.  I also have experienced the memory problems too but just quietly thought I was just one of those people who are going to have memory problems when they get older.  What do you think those two lab values could be pointing at?  Thank you
The weight gain was most likely from "eating a lot more" as you say and not the thyroid.  However this is consistent with mild hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis -- it does not mandate medication, but if the TSH stays elevated a trial of levothyroxine may be reasonable to see if it helps any of the symptoms.