Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
vitiligo, thyroid, and temperature problems

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have had vitiligo since I was a child and have always been told that it related to thyroid problems.  I have had many blood tests over the years checking my thyroid and it always been normal.  My dad, sister, brother and uncle all have underactive thyroid.  Recently I have had major problems coping with hot and cold I feel very sensitive to both of them. I either sweat all the time or feel really cold it can go from one extrime to the other really quickly.  Does any one have any idea if all these things are related or not?
Hi. I mostly have a question for you. I think I know what vitiligo is but I am not sure if I have it or not. Recently I noticed white freckles all over my forearms and they're multiplying. By recently I mean over like the last 2 years or so. Actually when a lot of my other symptoms started. Do you know if that is considered vitiligo? Anyways, I always test normal too! But I don't believe it. That's why I am using the basal temperature test now. The blood test is only about 77% accurate... doctors even admit that.
I would say that you got vitilago.  It is white patches in various shapes and sizes and can appear anywhere at any time.  I get new patches that I notice every year in summer as my skin darkens.  I am convinced that I have thyroid problems but cant get it diagnoised so I was wondering what the basal temperature test was.
that's what i thought.. :s
i am convinced that i have it too. ok, i read this in various places on the web and then eventually in dr broda barnes' book that is called, "Hypothyoroid - The Unsuspected Illness" so far i am only halfway through the book but he talked about the temp test right away. what you do is simple... at night before go to bed you shake down a regular mercury thermometer and put it on your nightstand. when you wake up in the morning you put it in your armpit for 15 minutes. If it reads lower than 98.2 degrees you have a low functioning thryoid. according to dr. barnes. my temp has always been 97.6 or somewhere around there and my doctors never even seemed to notice but according to this dr. barnes it's not ever normal and he says your thyroid controls your temp. you should get the book! it's interesting. :)
wait... i always forget something. when you do this temp test, you should do it on the 2nd day of your period. and you need to stay very still while it's under your armpit so yo don't do anything to effect your temperature. i just set my alarm for 15 minutes before i need to get up so i can kinda go back to sleep for the 15 minutes.
Hi thanks for all that I am definately going to do the temp test as I am convinced there is something not right but docs say my blood is normal.  I am getting another blood test on the 18 August as I have told them something is wrong.
You're welcome! What I find interesting is Dr Barnes says if you're temp in low and you start on thyroid therapy, your temp will rise to what it is supposed to be and can even be used to make sure you are taking the right amount of thyriod. Please let me know how your tests turn out... blood and temp.
Good luck,
Jacqui
A related discussion, Growth Of Vitalego & other was started.